Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter Beauty



This winter has been cold but beautiful at the same time. I find that however awful the cycling has been this new year there have been other things to command my attention. The snow we had was epic for our area seeing as we got 10 inches of the fluff; which hasn't happened in some 20 plus years. The kids went nuts and us adults had to fight, slip and slide our way to work. I had a wonderful time tearing it up with Evie on the 4wheeler out in our pasture while our cattle stared on oblivious to the joy that the snow was bringing us; they were less amused I'm sure.
The photos really don't do the sky and the snow justice but cameras can't see everything. I enjoyed the opportunity to try and capture the beauty for you.
January has offered a select few days to ride and enjoy the company of good cycling buddies, Stephen, Jim and I made it out last Saturday for a nice 32 miles of flat and rolling hills near Townville SC. The prior Saturday Stephen and I made the first Eastatoee loop of the year which was cold! He made fun of my freezing toes as we made our way through the valley and we caught some strange looks from some local trout-fishermen as we stopped at the little eastatoee creek bridge. Most folks look on us as crazies as we roll past them in the cold but they are always nice. Stephen's fun was due to the fact that he had planned for the big freeze by stuffing hand warmers in his shoes and gloves; I didn't though and paid for it. Nevertheless the ride was really great and we had a blast in spite of the numbness.
I hope this year has more of the same great rides and times of great fellowship that last year did. I look forward to some of the new cyclists that I know getting out there and enjoying what so many of us have been! Come with me and give cycling a try, you'll be hooked.

1 comment: